Monday, September 30, 2013

Butterfly Baptism

For my daughter's baptism I was excited to decorate a party for a little girl (after 4 years of boys parties). I wanted pink and orange to be the colour scheme (that way decorations for the christening could be recycled into decorations in the nursery) and following on from my recent creative outbursts with butterflies I wanted to incorporate them into the theme too.

Of course, my first port-of-call was Pinterest and after injecting myself with a good dose of pinspiration I created this invitation for the christening. The best thing I learnt from making this invitation was that there a entire fonts of butterflies (and many are available for free!)! In fact there a fonts for everything, making creating my own personalised invitations fun (though still very time consuming). I took the opportunity to include a photo of Kyah I took when she was only a week old using a quote from 1 Samuel 1:26-28. It was perfect for her christening invitations.

Next up I had to think about decorations. Paper pom poms, paper lanterns, paper bunting, fairy lights and flowers. The paper pom poms I made myself (a lot cheaper than paying $8/pompom and I could incorporate any color/pattern of tissue paper I wanted/could find - apparently there is not a huge demand for orange tissue paper...). I bought the paper bunting, but it only came in pink, so I inserted some orange flags to tie into the colour theme using orange scrapbook paper I bought for the nursery art works. Lanterns, lights and flowers I bought. The decorations were not over the top, but they looked sweet and made the party feel special.

Then the cake. I decided to outsource this time. And what a spectacular result! White chocolate and dark chocolate layers. Pink and orange butterflies. Just beautiful.

This formed the centerpiece for the dessert table. To accompany this masterpiece on the dessert table, I really wanted to make marshmallow pops after seeing them on Pinterest. They turned out spectacularly and were a huge hit (not just with the kids either). I chose pink sprinkles, pearl balls, sugar butterflies and coconut to decorate the marshmallows with. The coconut were the favorite. Paper straws added some beautiful detail as the sticks and I presented them on the dessert table in a few tall tumblers.

Together with the cake and glass jars of strawberry milk for the kids, the dessert table looked divine - with a wonderful balance of pink and orange!

We had around 70 guests join us for the service for Kyah's baptism. It was so special to have our friends and family with us to celebrate Kyah and our faith. Kyah now has 2 beautiful Godmother's and a wonderful Godfather to guide her through her life. We feel very blessed to have these 3 wonderful children, to have such amazing family, and to have some truly special friends.

After it was all finished, I created this Thank You card to send to all our wonderful family and friends who shared this special day with us and our daughter. It was another opportunity to put Kyah's gorgeous Christening dress on and take some oh-so-adorable photos of her. I couldn't decide on just one, hence the Thank You card has 3 photos! I decided to keep some of the elements the same as the invitation - the fonts and the butterflies but I changed to the peach/orange color to compliment Kyah's dress.

Next party...Octonauts. Stay tuned.

No comments: