Thursday, November 15, 2012

Oreo Truffles

Last weekend we attended the Baptism of two of our nieces, Amalia and India-Rose. I was even blessed to have been asked to be beautiful Amalia's Godmother. After the service we went back to our brother and sister-in-law's house for a huge feast. Dips, cheese, olives and chips started us off. Then there was the slow roasted lamb served on lavish with tzatziki, guacamole, tabouli, and an assortment of delicious salads. Cakes galore followed, including the most surprisingly delicious oreo truffles. They were so delicious I went back for seconds, and would have gone back for thirds but they were all gone. I knew I had to recreate these balls of crunchy delicious chocolate-oreo-cheesecake goodness.

Of course, I turned to Pinterest for some recipes and found the most delightful pin about these delicious treats. And whilst I initially thought I would make these treats for my sons approaching 4th birthday, I couldn't resist when I walked past the oreo's in Coles today. They will now form the dessert course of dinner tomorrow night with my sister and brother-in-law, celebrating the completion of our new kitchen. And I had a fun afternoon making these no-bake desserts with my soon-to-be-4-year-old-chef.

The best thing about this recipe - 3 ingredients!
1. Oreo's (1 & 1/4 packages of double stuff oreo's)
2. Cream Cheese (half a container of spreadable philadelphia cream cheese)
3. Chocolate (1 packet of each milk & white cadbury melts)

I actually added a 4th ingredient - hazelnut meal because I have an excessive amount of it from a failed flourless cake. And who doesn't love chocolate with hazelnut?

We set about grinding the oreo's in the blender to make a fine powder, mixing in the cream cheese until thoroughly combined and rolling the bite-sized balls of oreo-cheesecake-goodness. Noah got noticeably distracted by the beater however and left most of the rolling to me. After chilling them in the fridge for a couple of hours I dunked them in chocolate and rolled some in the hazelnut meal before setting them in the freezer to set again.

After a final drizzle with chocolate, the end product doesn't look too shabby. And they taste DELICIOUS! I just hope there are enough left for dinner tomorrow night!

No comments: